Easy Fish Curry Noodle (Southern Style)Nam Ya Pak Tai is a popular fish curry noodle dish from the south of Thailand. This recipe’s cooking method is similar to the north eastern recipe Kanom Jeen Nam Ya Pa only a few key ingredients are different.
This curry recipe uses coconut milk and fish stock as a base. The key curry paste ingredients are fresh turmeric that makes the curry yellow, shrimp paste and kaffir lime skin. The whole mackerel is usually boiled to make stock while the cooked meat is blended by food processor or pounded by mortar and pestle together with fresh herbal ingredients to make curry paste.
Mackerel known as “Pla Tu” is used in many Thai dishes. It is abundantly found in the Gulf of Thailand with a length of 15 to 25 centimetres. If you are unable to find mackerel, you can substitute any marine fish which has fewer bones or simply use a good quality fish fillet.
Nam Ya Pak Tai is usually spicier than other region’s signatures, but my recipe is slightly hot. You can cut down the number of dried chilies for less hot.
Click here for other 4 Region’s Thai Curry Noodle Recipes
Southern Fish Curry Noodle
nam ya pak tai
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Spicy Level: slightly hot
Ingredients for curry paste:
Lemongrass thinly sliced 2 stalks
Galangal thinly sliced 1 tbsp
Small dried red chilli 5 pieces
Kiffir lime lime skin thinly sliced ˝ tbsp
Garlic thinly sliced 1-2 cloves
Red shallot peeled skin off and thinly sliced 2 pieces
Turmeric thinly sliced 1 inch long
Shrimp paste 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Water 2 ˝ cups (to make fish stock from boiling the fish)
Whole mackerel or sea bream 250 g
Coconut cream 1 ˝ cup
Thai noodles 2 serves
Vegetable oil 1 tbsp
Side Dish Veggies: (optional)
Bean sprout ˝ cup
Green bean diced ˝ cup
Cucumber diced ˝ cup
Tamarind juice 1 ˝ tbsp
Fish sauce 1 tsp
Brown sugar 1 ˝ tbsp
Let's get started!
How to make:
Step 1 – boiling the fish
- Heat 2 cups of water in a pot over high heat.
- Add the whole fish until cooked.
- Remove from the heat.
- Place the cooked fish on a cutting board and remove only fish meat and discard the rest (bones, heads, tail etc). Add fish meat in step 2 with curry paste ingredients.
- Refine the fish stock with sieve. Then transfer the fish stock back in a pot for making curry in step 3.
Step 2 – prepare curry paste
- Blend curry paste ingredients in food processor until finely blended.
- Then add fish meat in food processor for another 1-2 minutes.
Step 3 – making curry
- Heat ˝ cup of coconut cream in a non stick pot over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Quickly stir in the curry paste until releases fragrance for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the rest of coconut cream and fish stock. Let the curry bubbling boils.
- Season with tamarind juice, fish sauce and brown sugar.
- Remove from the heat.
- Serve with Thai noodle and accompany with side veggies.
Return from Fish Curry Noodles to Thai Noodles
Return from Fish Curry Noodles to Home Page