I love serving steamed wonton when hosting a party for my friends or family. It is quite easy to do and it can be made in advance and kept in the freezer. This delicious wonton can be enjoyed as an appetizer at anytime of the day.
Wonton recipe is called in Thai "Kanom Jeeb Nueng". It consists of minced pork and prawns marinated with garlic, onion, light soy sauce, white peppers and rice flour.
You can alternatively use only minced prawns or crab meat as a filling. The wonton recipe is usually served as an appetizer with fried garlic in oil and (an essential condiment), dumpling sauce which can be easily found in most of Asian food stores.
The wonton is such a versatile item. My wonton recipe can be cooked for Wonton Soup or used as an ingredient for noodle dishes.
This delicious appetizer also makes a perfect match with Fried Rice with Prawns and Thai Green Curry with Chicken
kanom jeeb nueng
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for filling:
Wonton wrappers 25 pieces
Minced pork 150 g
Minced prawn 250 g
Garlic finely chopped 1 clove
Coriander root wash and finely chopped 1 roots
Onion finely chopped 1 whole
Rice flour 1 1/2 tbsp
Spring onion finely chopped 1 tbsp
Fried garlic in oil 3 tbsp
Light soy sauce 2 tbsp
Sweet soy sauce 1 tsp
salt 1 tsp
White pepper 1 tsp
Let's get started!
How to make:
Step 1 – Marinate
- Marinate minced pork, minced prawn with garlic, onion, rice flour, spring onion and season with light soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, salt and white pepper.
- Knead the mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Leave it to marinate at least 15 -20 minutes.
Step 2 – Filling the wonton
- Place a wonton wrapper on your palm, and place a full teaspoon of filling in the middle of a wrapper.
- Hold each end upward and tightly.
- Continue with the rest of wonton wrappers.
Step 3 – Steaming
- Steam the wontons on medium to high until cooked through.
- Coat the steamed wontons with fried garlic in oil before serve.
- To make fried garlic in oil, simple finely chop the garlic. Heat ¼ cup of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry garlic until golden brown.
- You can buy varied wonton sauces in most of Asian stores.
Return from Steamed Wonton to Thai Appetizer Recipes
Return to Home Page