Thai Glass Noodle Salad
Thai glass noodle salad or "Yum Woo Sen" is one of full flavored Thai salads that are considered as low carb food due to low calorie ingredients used in the recipe. Thai people like this Thai salad as to maintain regular weight and health too.
When glass noodle is cooked, it is clear and transparent. It is also known as bean threads, cellophane noodles, crystal noodles or "Woon Sen" in Thai. It can be made from various types of starch such as mung bean, potato, corn, peas or cassava starches and water.
The bean threads usually come in a dried bundle and in sizes from small to large pack. To serve for 2 portions, I recommend using a small pack of 100 grams.
Before adding into your salad dish, it requires to soak in warm water until soft for 5 minutes until the bean threads are transparent, drain and cut into shorter length. Then quickly boil about a few minutes. Plunge the boiled threads quickly into cold water and drain before use.
The bean thread noodle is an ideal for spring rolls, soups, salads and stir fried dishes.
Thai glass noodle salad or "Yum Woon Sen" usually consists of cooked prawns, minced pork, or squid tossed with glass noodle, wood ear mushroom, thinly sliced fresh tomato, spring onion, celery, onion, chilies and then mixed with lime juice, fish sauce and a bit of sugar for a dressing.
I recommend Tom Yum Goong, and/or Thai BBQ Chicken
Glass Noodle Salad
yum woon sen
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Spicy Level: mild
Glass noodle small pack 100 g
Wood ear mushroom soaked in water until soft then thinly sliced ¼ cup
Prawns skin peeled off ½ cup (leave out if vegans)
Minced pork ½ cup (leave out if vegans)
Tomato lengthwise thinly sliced 1 whole
Onion, lengthwise thinly sliced 1 whole
Celery cut 1 inch lengthwise 1 stalk
Ingredients for dressing:
Fish sauce 2 tbsp (leave out if vegans)
Lime juice 3 tbsp
Palm sugar (1 block of palm sugar melted in 1/4 cup of hot water) 2 tbsp
Coriander root finely pounded 1 tsp
Fresh Thai red chili finely pounded ½ tsp (optional)
Let's get started!
How to make:
Step 1 – Preparation
- Soak glass noodle in warm water until softened about 15 minutes.
- Heat ½ cup of water in a pot over low heat. Add minced pork until cooked through.
- Keep the rest of pork stock to use for dressing.
- Blanch prawns, glass noodle and wood ear mushroom separately for 2-3 minutes for each item. Then plunge the boiled glass noodle in cold water quickly to help settled.
Step 2 - Make a dressing
- Pound chilies and coriander root together. Remove into a bowl.
- Add lime juice, fish sauce, palm sugar, and the rest of pork stock in a dressing bowl.
Step 3 - Tossing
- In a mixing bowl, add glass noodle, wood ear mushroom, tomato, onion, celery, prawns, and minced pork in a bowl.
- Combine all ingredients with dressing.
- Serve soon!
- For vegetarians, simply use soy sauce instead of fish sauce.
- If you use a block of palm sugar, cut half or use a whole block. Heat the sugar with ½ cup of water over low heat. Continue until the block is entirely melted. Ready to use.
- Another way to use a block of palm sugar is to put in a microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Return from Glass Noodle Salad to Thai Salad Recipes
Return from Glass Noodle Salad to Thai Recipes Today Home Page