Authentic Khao Soi Noodle
Khao Soi noodle is an egg noodle in yellow curry with chicken and crisp-deep fried egg noodle served on top. It is also known as "Chiang Mai noodle".
It is Thailand’s northern signature dish. The dish has an origin from Muslim Chinese "Chin Haw" people who fled from Yunan, south of China and settled between the border of Thailand and Lao. It is believed that Chin Haw immigrated into Chiang mai in 1877 and settled at Charoen Prathet road before spreading over into many provinces in the north of Thailand.
If you happen to visit Chiang Mai, Thailand, you will notice that it is easy to find this Thai noodle dish either in traditional lanna restaurants or street food markets.
The Unique of Khao Soi Noodle
This popular noodle is widely served across Thailand, Laos and Burma where each country has its own recipes. This Thai noodle dish basically consists of a particular flat-thin egg and wheat-based noodle served in coconut based yellow curry and crisp-deep fried egg noodle served on top.
The particular egg noodle required in this recipe is Khao Soi noodle or called in Thai "sen khao soi" made with wheat flour, egg, water and salt and the threads usually is quite thin and flat. This specially made Thai noodle may be rare to find internationally. You can alternatively choose flat, thin and small styles of Chinese or Asian egg noodles for substitution.
It is traditionally made with either beef or chicken and is accompanied with chopped pickled mustard greens also known as pickled cabbage (pak kad dong), sliced fresh shallots and is usually topped with crisp-deep fried egg noodle. It is seasoned with fish sauce, lime wedge, sugar and dried red chili flake fried in oil. However, for a non Muslim, the curry can be alternatively made with pork.
How Khao Soi noodle was made in the past
Khao means rice and soi means to julienne. When the Chin Haw people first started to make this Thai noodle recipe, they made everything fresh from scratch. Meaning street food vendors would then combine all ingredients and create fresh noodle followed by, creating the rich curry sauce, filling, and condiments. The early recipe was made without coconut milk. It was called "Khao Soi Num Sai". At some stage, coconut milk was added to the dish which increased its popularity among Thais and foreigners.
In my khao soi noodle recipe, I use chicken drum and thighs preferably with skin on. If you prefer beef, I recommend using round cut or rump beef and slow cook for 40-50 minutes.
Egg noodle in yellow curry with chicken (Chiang Mai Noodle)khao soi
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Chicken thighs and drums 3 pieces each
Coconut cream ½ cup
Coconut milk 1 cup
Water 1 cup
Egg noodle 1 pack
Ginger peel skin off and thinly sliced ¼ cup
Red Curry Paste 1 ½ tbsp
Curry powder 2 tbsp
Spring onion thinly chopped 2 tbsp
Coriander thinly chopped 2 tbsp
Vegetable oil for deep frying 2 cups
Ingredients for condiment:
Pickled mustard greens washed and thinly chopped ¼ cup
Shallots sliced ¼ cup
Dried chilli flake 2-4 tbsp
Light soy sauce 1 ½ bsp
Palm sugar 1 ½ tbsp
Salt 1 pinch
Let's get started!
How to make:
Step 1 - Make curry
- Pound ginger until smooth with mortar and pestle.
- Then add red curry paste in and softly pound until the texture is blended and smooth.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pot over medium heat and fry the curry paste until fragrant. Make sure you don’t fry the curry paste too long which will dry and stick to the pot.
- Add chicken and coconut milk until cooked through.
- Then add curry powder and coconut cream.
- Seasoning with light soy sauce, palm sugar and salt.
- Continue simmering for another 10-15 minutes on a low heat.
Step 2 - Prepare condiments
- Boil pickled mustard greens in water until cooked.
- Drain and set in a bowl.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Fry chilli flakes for a 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
Step 3 - Prepare Noodle
- Boil half pack of egg noodle until cooked.
- Then soak in cold water and drain.
- Heat oil for deep frying over medium to high.
- Deep fry the rest of noodle until crispy.
- Serve boiled noodle with chicken curry and top with crispy noodle and accompany with pickle mustard, shallots, dried chili flake fried in oil. Sprinkle chopped coriander and spring onion and squeeze lime juice in your noodle dish and you may season with fish sauce and sugar.
Return from Khao Soi Noodle to Thai Noodle Recipes
Return from Khao Soi Noodle to Thai Recipes Today Home Page