Pork Yellow Curry
Thai pork yellow curry consists of cubes or thinly slices of pork and sliced winter melon cooked in coconut based yellow curry. This curry dish is served with steamed rice and can be optionally served with fried Chinese sausages and homemade cucumber pickles.
This dish is also known as "Kaeng Fug Moo" in Thailand. Winter melon is widely known in Southeast Asia. It is extensively used in Asian cooking especially making a soup with pork or chicken. You can find it in Asian fresh markets.
Before start cooking the curry, you need to prepare the winter melon by peeling the light green skin off, then quarter lengthwise and take out the white soft seeds inside with a spoon and discard the seeds. Crosswise chop the winter melon into 3x4 cm square pieces. Then cook these winter melon pieces in rapidly boiling water just to slightly soften and not to cook through as it can be to soft in curry. Remove the winter melon when slightly transparent or takes approximately 4-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water.
I recommend Thai Beef Salad or Stir Fried Mixed Vegetables these will make a good combination for a Thai set menu.
Thai Pork Yellow Curry with Winter Melon
kaeng fug moo
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Spicy Level: very mild
Pork tenderloin cubed or thinly sliced 300 g
Cassava flour for marinate the pork meat 1 tbsp
Cassava mixed with water (1tbsp of tapioca + ½ of cold water, stir until dissolved)
Coconut cream 1 cup
Coconut milk 2 cups
Winter melon chopped crosswise into 3x4 cm square pieces, cooked the pieces in boiling water until slightly soft 200 g
Fried Chinese sausages thinly sliced ½ cup
(optional)Yellow curry paste 1 tbsp
Ingredients for Ar-Jard: (optional)
Fresh cucumber quartered and sliced ¼ cup
Shallots thinly sliced ¼ cup
Red chili pepper chopped 1 tbsp
White vinegar 2 tbsp
Sugar 2 tbsp
Salt 1 tsp
Warm water 1/3 cup
Soy sauce or Fish sauce 1½ tbsp
Palm sugar 2 tbsp
Salt 1 tsp
Let's get started!
How to prepare:
- Rub 1 tbsp of cassava flour with pork evenly. Leave to marinate about 20 minutes.
- Fry Chinese sausages with oil until cook each side or a few minutes. Then slice crosswise, 2-3 mm thick. Set aside.
Step 2 - Making Ar-Jard
- Mix all ingredients for Ar-Jard in a bowl.
Step 3 - Making curry
- Sautéed curry paste with oil in a pot over low heat until fragrant or about a few minutes.
- Add 1 cup of coconut cream. Continually stir until coconut gets thicker and the oil separates or approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and pork and cook for 10 minutes.
- Season with soy or fish sauce, sugar and salt.
- Add cooked winter melon pieces and pour the cassava mixed with water in the curry pot and stir quickly a few times.
- Remove from the heat.
- Serve this Thai pork yellow curry with steamed rice with fried Chinese sausages and Ar-jard (cucumber pickles).
Return from Pork Yellow Curry to Thai Rice Recipes
Return to Thai Recipes Today Home Page