Thai Fish Salad
This savory Thai fish salad consists of crispy minced fish served with shredded fresh green apple, celery, shallot and Thai chilies with a lime juice dressing. The salad combination is crunchy from crispy-deep fried minced fish and fresh green apple. It is an ideal for a light starter or salad for lunch or dinner.
The original Thai fish salad recipe uses a local cat fish called in Thai pla dook which is one of popular local fish in Thai cooking. It usually uses grilled cat fish, mince it with skin then deep fry.
As I love marine fish, I prefer cooking with snapper or seabass. The key to a good crispy fish is deep frying in very hot oil!
I recommend serving Thai fish salad with Thai BBQ Chicken and/or Thai Papaya Salad (Som Tum)
Thai Crispy Minced Fish Salad and Raw Green Apple
yam pra fu kab apple
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Spicy Level: mild
Grilled fillet white fish 250 g
Green apple fresh, peel skin off and shredded 1 cup
Bread crumbs ½ cup
Celery small, chopped ½ cup
Shallot thinly sliced ½ cup
Dry roasted cashew nuts ¼ cup
Vegetable oil for deep drying 2 cups
Fresh Thai chilies finely chopped 1 tsp (optional)
Coriander leaves 1 handful
Dried Thai chili fry in hot oil until gets darker color 2-4 wholes
Ingredients for salad dressing:
Fish sauce 1 tbsp
Lime juice 2 tbsp
Palm sugar a quarter
Thai Red Chilies finely chopped 2-3 wholes
Coriander roots 1 – 2 stems
Let's get started!
How to make salad:
Step 1 – Grill
- Grill fish fillets in a frying pan (do not mince at this point in time).
- Remove from the heat, and let the fish cool down and dry on a dry plate. Then finely mince the fish meat with a knife.
Step 2 – Make a dressing
- Heat ½ cup of water in a small pot over low heat. Put a quarter of palm sugar in until completely melted. Remove from the heat.
- Pound coriander roots until smooth with mortar and pestle.
- In a mixing bowl, add coriander root, fish sauce, lime juice, and palm sugar. Stir well.
Step 3 – Deep frying
- Mix cooked minced fish with breadcrumb.
- Heat the oil in a wok over high heat.
- Put 1-2 spoons of minced fish in the hot oil. Separate the minced fish with a fork. The minced will be scattered.
- Deep fry quickly until turn slightly brown and crispy. Remove and place on an absorbent oil paper.
- Deep fry the rest with the same way.
- Set in a mixing bowl.
Step 4 - Tossing
- Add shallots, green apple, celery, chopped chilies, dry roasted cashew nuts, and deep fried minced fish in a mixing bowl.
- Toss well with dressing.
- Serve with coriander leaves on top.
- The secret of this Thai fish salad is drying the meat in room temperature after grilling the meat on the first occasion before deep frying.
- I would recommend using red snapper, grouper or any white fish.
- Dry roast cashew nuts over low heat in a frying pan. Remove when gets brown. Cover with a lit to make it crunchy!
- Peanuts can be substituted with cashew nuts.
Return from Thai Fish Salad to Thai Salad Recipes
Return from Thai Fish Salad to Thai Recipes Today Home Page