Thai Spring Rolls (deep fry)
This authentic Thai spring rolls recipe has passed down from generations. It is often made with vegetables, minced pork, chicken or prawns. It also can be made without meat for vegetarian recipe which simply use soy sauce instead of fish sauce.
The Thai spring rolls are usually served hot as an all day snack with fresh Thai basil leaves and varieties of lettuce.
This recipe is one of the most popular Thai appetizer recipes I want to share because it is easily made and stored in the freezer for a long time. It is also a good finger food for your parties!
Thai Spring Rolls (deep fry)
por pia tod
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Spicy Level: none
Garlic and coriander roots, finely chopped 1 tbsp each
Minced Pork 200 g
White egg, for gluing 1 egg
Mung bean threads, 15 minutes soak in water and rinse, cut into 2 inch long 1 small pack (100 g)
Carrot, peel skin off and finely grated 1 cup
Black fungus mushroom shredded ½ cup
Bean sprout, wash and rinse off 1 cup
Cabbage, thinly sliced 1 cup
Vegetable oil for deep frying 3 cups
Vegetable oil for stir fry 3 tbsp
Spring roll wrapper 25 pieces
Plum sauce or Thai Sweet Sauce
Light Soy Sauce 2 tbsp
Sweet soy sauce 2 tbsp
White pepper powder 1 tsp
Let's get started!
How to make:
Step 1 - Preparation
- If you use frozen spring roll wrapper, leave the wrappers in room temperature until defrosted. Then slowly and gently peel each wrapper off and place each one in a big clean cloth and cover all of them with another clean cloth. This is to keep them moisture. If the wrappers are left dried, they are beakable and unusable.
Step 2 - Stir fry
- Heat a 3 tbsp of oil in a wok or saucepan over medium heat. .
- Add minced pork until cooked through.
- Then add cabbage, carrot and mushroom. Stir constantly for 3-5 minutes.
- Add mung bean threads and bean sprouts. Stir fry for a few minutes until soft.
- Lower the heat, and season with light soy sauce and sweet soy sauce.
- Remove from the heat.
Step 3 - Wrap spring roll
- Start wrapping each one by pointing its corner into you..
- In the mean time, the rest of wrappers should be still covered in a cloth.
- Take 1 full spoon of stuffing and place it closes to the corner next to you.
- Slowly roll that corner up, make sure it is condensed, until the middle of wrapper.
- Fold each side corner into the middle nicely, and continually fold upward till an end.
- Smear white egg to seal the end.
Step 4 - Deep fry
- Heat oil in a wok over medium to high heat.
- When the oil is medium hot. Add each spring roll and deep fry each side evenly.
- The spring roll should turn golden brown each side. Remove from the oil and rest on a paper towel.
- Chop each one into 3 pieces or serve whole, this is optional.
- Serve with plum or Thai sweet chili sauce. Fresh sliced cucumbers, fresh Thai basil leaves and fresh shredded cabbage. This is optional.
Return from Thai Spring Rolls to Thai Appetizer Recipes
Return from Thai Spring Rolls to Thai Recipes Today Home Page