Thai Squid Salad
If you feel like having spicy, tangy and fresh salad, this Thai squid salad has it all. Squid is often cooked in Thai kitchens as there are plentiful supplies in the Gulf of Siam and from the Andaman sea.
One common dish prepared using squid is grilled squid salad. It is prepared by char grilling squid and combine with fresh pomelo, mint and coriander leaves and fried shallot sprinkled over the salad.
The dressing consists of lime juices, fish sauce, garlic, palm sugar, and fresh chili. Serve the salad as warm as possible with other salad dishes or fried rice.
The dish is also known as "Yum Pla Muk Yang" which literally translates to grilled squid salad.
Thai Squid Salad
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Spicy Level: mild
Squid rings 150g
Pomelo shredded ½ cup
Mint leaves ¼ cup
Tomato cherry thinly sliced ¼ cup
Coriander leaves ¼ cup
Fried shallot (slice shallot and fry in oil until brown) 2 tbsp
Ingredients for Dressing:
Fish sauce 1 tbsp
Palm sugar 1 tsp
Lime juice 2 tbsp
Fresh red & green small Thai chilicoarsely pounded 1 - 2 chilies
Let's get started!
How to make:
Step 1 - Prepare dressing
- Combine all ingredients for dressing in a dressing bowl until palm sugar is melted.
Step 2 – Char grill or BBQ
- Heat the char grill or barbecue or on high.
- Season squid with some salt and place on the rack. Turn occasionally. Cook each side for about a few minutes until curled, brown and tender. You may brush the squid with vegetable oil occasionally during cooking.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl. Toss with shredded pomelo, mint and coriander leaves and the dressing.
- Remove to a large serving plate and sprinkle over with fried shallot.
- Sever immediately.
Return from Thai Squid Salad to Thai Recipes Today Home Page