Tom Kha Gai – Chicken in Coconut Milk
Tom Kha Gai literally means chicken in galangal soup and is made with coconut milk.
The Thai version chicken in coconut milk soup usually consists of chopped chicken with bones and skin on (sometime chicken liver is used too), oyster mushroom or hed nang fa fresh galangal, lemongrass, coconut milk and seasoning with fresh lime juice and fish sauce. I love this recipe
Thai people like to have this Thai soup a little spicy with either fresh whole chilies or deep fried chilies in the soup.
However, the soup can be made with chicken without skin and bones. I recommend using chicken tenderloin as the meat is much softer for a quick soup dish.
Tom kha gai soup is usually served with steamed jasmine rice and maybe stir fried vegetables with oyster sauce.
I recommend other Thai dishes that will make a good Thai set menu are Stir Fried Chicken with Cashew Nuts or Panang Curry with Prawns Click to see recipes!
Chicken in Coconut Soup
tom kha gai
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Spicy Level: none
Coconut milk 2 cups
Chicken tenderloin bite size cubed 150 g
Oyster mushroom fresh ¼ cup (optional)
Immature Galangal ½ cup
Lemongrass cut diagonally 1 inch long ¼ cup
Red Thai chillies crushed ½ tsp (optional)
Shallots small size peel skin off then coarsely smash with a mortar and pestle 2 wholes
Kaffir lime leaves 4 leaves
Coriander finely chopped for garnishing 1 stem
Fish sauce 1 tbsp
Salt ½ tsp
Lime juice 3 tbsp
How to make:
Step 1 - Making soup
- Simmer coconut milk in a pot over a medium heat.
- Frequently stir the coconut milk approximately 5 minutes.
- Add galangal, shallots, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves and cover with a lid.
- Let the herbs boil lightly for another a few minutes or until you can smell fragrant notes from herbs and coconut. Season with fish sauce, salt, and lime juice.
- Add chicken until cook through.
- You can add crushed chilies in a serving bowl.
- Remove from the heat.
- When serve, garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
- Cook chicken just precise time. Do not overcook it. The meat will be hard.
- Add a bit of water if you like a clearer soup.
- Fresh oyster mushroom and other ingredients can be found at Asian stores.
Return from Tom Kha Gai to Thai Soup Recipes
Return to Thai Recipes Today Home Page